Please, Don’t Ride The Donkeys

Please don’t ride the donkeys on Santorini, they are not well cared for, overworked, not given enough access to food, water and shade and forced to trudge up and down the hundreds of uneven steps of a sheer cliff face, often with overweight tourists on their backs. They are often beaten by their handlers with sticks that have the ends of nails sticking out to “encourage” them to move.

Please watch this video, made by the Donkey Sanctuary in the UK who are working to improve the situation of these poor animals.

Thank you

Martin

1 Like

Ecellent point @bigsnitch.

Let’s keep this thread open for any future discussions and reference to this topic.

1 Like

I am really struggling to see how the greek government cares about the issue but it is true that they are having far more problems with the refugees in other islands like Chios or Lesvos.

I wouldn’t expect anything more from an (almost far) right government as the one currently in Greece…

@Ryan

Ryan, the authorities couldn’t give a toss about the donkeys to be honest. They pay lip service to any suggestions for improvements in conditions, then as soon as the animal welfare people go away, things just go back to how they were before.

Despite everything that people have been doing over the last years to bring this to the attention of others, I think that because the donkeys bring a lot of extra income to the island the authorities are happy to turn a blind eye to the abuse and carry on counting the money.

Martin

1 Like