Corona Virus and Greek tourism

As our April trip has been canceled, I would love to reschedule rather than cancel. We are hoping for September, but are there any official opinions on when travel can resume?

Stay well! I’m still working on learning some Greek, and look forward to a future visit!

I believe they’ve just announced, that with very few exceptions (in Thessaloniki and Athens), ALL hotels in Greece are now closed until the end of April.

I’ve just seen a thread on Trip Advisor with a link to a newspaper website but it was in a Greek with no obvious way of converting it to English,

Maybe @Pavlos could provide a link?

Yes it’s true. We received emails from hotels we were booked into for April, stating that all hotels and resorts will be closed upto 30th April and that our booking stands cancelled.
Airlines are updating their policies as situation keeps changing, so we are waiting till end of this month to cancel our tickets as right now airline’s still charging cancellation fee!
But what irked me more was that when we applied for the visas, the situation wasn’t as bad, but a week later it had definitely worsened and yet the Greece embassy in India issued us tourist visas, that too only upto Mid May. Looking at the current scenario travel isn’t gonna be possible by then and sadly we will have to reschedule our Greece trip to God knows when, as we have our kids’ colleges reopening in June.

Stay safe everyone. Hope to visit Greece soon

Rescheduled my June trip to September.

Just sorry for all of my friends on the island who are facing a very uncertain future.

1 Like

After the latest announcements from the greek government, nobody is allowed to go out of home in Greece unless it is for a very essential trip. Police will be enforcing that complete and total lockdown from tomorrow morning 6am.

Hello everyone.
Can anyone give details about the ferry cancellation refund due to coronavirus situation.
Does ferry give complete refund ?

I used Let’s Ferry and just requested mine today. What company did you book with? I emailed them and they instructed me to follow out a cancellation refund request applicationon their website. Hope you get it sorted out. We sadly had to start cancelling our entire trip today so I baked a cake to help the somber mood and ate two pieces while trying to figure out what to cancel and what vouchers to get for future, it’s a mess. Good luck.

1 Like

Hello
Yaa really its disheartening to cancel all the bookings of my dream country GREECE. And now has to keep on checking about the cancellation policy of the flights n other things.

Can you help me with the email id of LETS FERRY? I too booked with them

https://www.letsferry.gr/en/customer-service/contact/

Hi. Yes, so I just used the link that Pavlos provided here for you (thank you Pavlos!) and then went to the top of page, clicked on contact. There you will see drop down menus and just select the reason for contact. This will allow you to choose the cancellation of booking. Hang in there, we are all in the same boat. I can’t do anything with my airfare right now, its almost best to let the airline cancel your flight (which they will if this continues to get worse) and wait to get as close to your travel date as possible. Same with my AirBnB’s. Most have been posting updated information daily about who qualifies for refunds, etc… If it is the airlines who cancel, they can refund you usually. If we take the travel vouchers from the airlines, we have a year to use them. Every airline is different of course. You will find a solution and hopefully we will get to go to Greece in the future. Take good care.

2 Likes

There are rumours from my friends in Greece that the country will stop the lockdown by mid-May but of course nothing is for sure at the moment…

Finally, some good news for everyone.

Greece deided to lift the restrictions and the measures gradually in May and June.

Hotels and restaurants will open up in June though.

You can read the official announcement here:

http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/home/about_covid_19

All plans of Greece to reopen business and come back to life gradually are detailed in this official government presentation:

It basically comes down to this (for May):

Hi everyone - I hope you’re all safe during these times.

My sister, niece and I all purchased tickets for Greece back in January for September 2020. As you can imagine, so much in our lives has changed since then.

We haven’t canceled or rescheduled or trips quite yet as we are monitoring the situation. However, everyone we know seems to think we are crazy for even thinking there’s a possibility of a trip happening in September at this point. Normally I’m a very optimistic person, but that optimism has been diminishing each day.

I don’t expect anyone here to have concrete answers of course, as we’re all learning and everything Is changing each moment it feels like. However, I am curious if anyone is in a situation with trips planned to Greece from the United States in September 2020? Are you waiting it out like us or have you already canceled or postponed? Would love to hear from others in the same boat.

For now, I will continue to dream about Greece…

I’m from the UK and booked for September, but I think our situations have some similarities.

Greece has handled the crisis much better than either the UK or USA and are going to be very careful about reopening their borders and allowing people back into the country.

I did see a Greek (English language) newspaper article a few days ago that said the Greek government were in discussions with several other countries about the way forward and neither the UK nor the USA were included in this discussion.

My gut feeling, and I stress, this is just my gut feeling, having talked to friends in Greece and the vast number of discussions I’ve been involved with on Trip Advisor, is that it’s highly unlikely that visitors from either the UK or the USA will be allowed to enter Greece in 2020 as holiday makers.

I’m fully expecting my flights to be cancelled, at which point I’ll look into rescheduling for 2021, maybe September again, by which time (hopefully), the scientists will have created a vaccine and the world can get back to some sort of new normality.

As I say, not fact, just my gut feeling.

Hey Bigsnitch - Thank you so much for your thoughtful feedback, it’s really appreciated and everything you said made total sense. I haven’t canceled anything yet, but I have a strong suspicion that Greece in mid-September isn’t happening for us. It just feels like a dreadful limbo right now but everything seems to be pointing at one particular direction, if that makes sense. In the meantime, I will continue to monitor the situation and read up on this lovely group, but definitely keep me posted on what happens with your trip! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one with a September booking up in the air. =)

Greece will start opening its doors to 20 countries initially from mid a June.

Reading between the lines, I don’t think this will include either the UK, USA or any other country that have been badly affected by the virus (thanks Boris :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:)

1 Like