Corona Virus and Greek tourism

Hi!

With 3 confirm cases of corona virus in Greece how is the government planning to control it?
Will it affect the tourism this year? I plan to travel in 1st week of May 2020. Will it be safe then?

Will it be safe in May? You can’t expect anyone to answer that with any amount of certainty whatsoever. It may be safe, or the disease may have killed 3 billion people by then, but no one here or anywhere else can answer that question yet.

We go in June, and remain hopeful that those plans don’t change. Wash your hands, cross your fingers, and hope for the best!

3 Likes

Well… common sense is all you need in these situations.
In general, Greece is considered a very clean place and I can assure you that Greeks are crazy with personal hygiene.
There have been COVID cases in Greece (no deaths as of now) but I am hearing the government is quite busy with all the other stuff tha tare taking place with the refugees from Syria up in the north of Greece around the borders with Turkey.
Obviosuly, COVID is already afecting the world economy in massive numbers but people are expecting things to ease in a few months time around summer anyways.
People will spend less time in closed areas and windows will be more open… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My husband and I are also planning to go at the beginning of June. At this time, we have no intentions of canceling this trip. However, I do agree that we should wash our hands, be aware of who is around us and try to live a healthy lifestyle to keep our immune systems strong. I try not live in fear, hide or let the media influence me because most of the time the information is not 100% accurate. Yes, we should be aware and concerned but no, we should not stop living. All we can do is hope for the best. By June, the weather will be warm and most viruses cannot survive - that’s my thinking.

1 Like

Totally agree with that statement.
Yes, there is definitely a concertn across the whole globe but I believe we shouldn’t allow media and panic control our lives and our plans.

1 Like

An Athens resident has just posted this in the main Greece forum on Trip Advisor

“ Our mobiles just made a really noisy alarm sound & an alert automatically came on screen, so Greece is taking this very seriously.

Emergency Alert

Coronavirus alert High risk population: Stay at home as much as possible. General population: Stay at home at first symptom of infection. If you have symptoms consult with doctor before going to hospital. Maintain personal hygiene. Don’t put yourself& others at risk.”

Yes indeed!

This was the message that popped up on everyone’s phone yesterday:

But it was a very inappropriate message in my opinion that scared the s%&$t out of many people!

Yes, here too in the USA, they have banned travel coming in from Europe and now I’m hearing of flight cancellations from New York to Greece, where we are supposed to fly out of in June. Events and large gatherings in my city have been cancelled or postponed and schools are beginning to shut down. I’m glad we are all staying updated here. I am staying calm but informed at this point. Thanks for the feedback and keeping us up to speed, Pavlos. Be safe everyone.

Ι think It will be safe in Greek islands till end of April

1 Like

My flights are April 1st, but I hear they may be cancelled :sob:

I have also booked the flight from Brussels to Athens and then to Santorini on March 28 for a week’s holiday.
We are canceling travel at this moment, which is required to calm down this Virus spreading, especially from youngsters to elders. and things are changing too fast after a week the scenario may change in Europe. Coming back to Brussels also could be a difficult task. Even if we travel it will be in a more scary way of spending time than a relaxing mood.

I wish I will travel again soon once everything is in order.

Hope all will be fine soon.

1 Like

We were scheduled to fly on 28MAR20 from NY to Athens, and then do 2 days in athens, 5 days in Santorini. We ended up cancelling our trip two weeks ago so we got nailed with all the fees of cancelling a non-refundable trip, but at this point i must admit that while I’m frustrated to not be going to Greece, I think it was the right decision. I really hope this whole thing gets contained soon.

1 Like

I am traveling for vacay in late June to Athens, Naxos and Santorini. I am on the fence if I should cancel. I am going to wait and see what the future holds. I live in New Orleans, and we are just now getting confirmed cases.

Hi there. In view of yesterday’s news about the pandemic, I have tons of questions about my travel plans to Athens on May 3rd. We have planned two weeks traveling around the islands, including Santorini, Crete and Mykonos. Our plans included arriving at Athens from Cairo, which will be our first stop from London, which we will be arriving from Washington DC. Any information about postponing, waiting or cancelling the trip will be very appreciated.

My family and I are travelling all of June to Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos and Crete from Australia. I have not as yet cancelled but my concern is if they will not allow travel will hotels assist in rebooking at another time? I really pray that this all quite a down in the next couple of months

No further news as of yet guys.

Greece remains in lockdown (schools and mass gatherings only).

All shops and restaurants are still working.

Things are quite normal at the moment here and no further victims or cases have been reported since yesterday.

Before cancelling or re-scheduling any flights or hotels booking I would advise everyone to wait or at least 2 more weeks.

Stay tuned.

I’m due to travel to Santorini from the UK in June and so far I’m not concerned at all. As long as the planes are flying and I’ve got breath in my body, I’ll be there.

This crisis is changing very quickly and in 3 months time it might all be a distant memory.

Try to avoid any panicked, knee jerk cancellations, avoid scare stories put out by the tabloids and people like Fox News in the USA, where, from what I see here and on Trip Advisor forums, the most cancellations are coming from.

Maybe it’s just us Brits who are a bit more stoic about this kind of thing (although you wouldn’t think so if you saw the empty shelves in supermarkets caused by idiots panic buying toilet paper, pasta, rice etc), but I for one am not going to be stopped enjoying my hard earned holiday by what is essentially flu with attitude.

Funniest thing ever… :slight_smile:
Friends from the UK are sending me pictures of the empty toilet paper shelves in the super markets. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

It’s crazy, it’s as though people are convinced that coronovirus is going to make you :poop::poop::poop: yourself to death.

I know this is a serious illness and many many people are going to get sick and sadly some won’t survive it but please, people, get a grip.