Are rental cars allowed on ferries?

Hi! Four adults headed to Crete, Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens in May. Is it better to rent/hire a car in each place, or can we rent in Crete, take the car on the ferry to Santorini, and drop it off when we leave Mykonos?
. (We don’t want or need a car in Athens.) Thanks!

Short answer is no, you’re not allowed to take rental cars off the individual islands, you’ll need to have a separate car for each island you visit.

Hi @Marcos,

In theory you can take the car anywhere in Greece.
I haven’t heard any rule otherwise and the small letters in your rental contract will say that you can take the car anywhere within Greece.

Not sure why @bigsnitch says the opposite though…

@bigsnitch do you have a personal experience on that?

HOWEVER, the main reason nobody does it is because it will cost you more to take your car with you on the ferry than renting another one on every place you visit. Ferry tickets in Greece are notoriously expensive for the service they offer and it’s pretty much a monopoly with only a handful of companies operating them.

Taking the car on the ferry it’s roughly 2-3 days of rental worth. One way!!

It is generally quicker, safer and cheaper to rent a different car on every island you go.

@Pavlos,

To be honest, I’ve no personal experience of this, I’m only going off what has been said in the Trip Advisor forums on this subject over the years.

When someone has asked this same question, others, including Greek citizens, have said that cars rented on one island can’t be taken via ferries to a different island.

If this is no longer the situation, I apologise to the OP for giving incorrect information. [quote=“Marcos, post:1, topic:183, full:true”]
Hi! Four adults headed to Crete, Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens in May. Is it better to rent/hire a car in each place, or can we rent in Crete, take the car on the ferry to Santorini, and drop it off when we leave Mykonos?
. (We don’t want or need a car in Athens.) Thanks!
[/quote]

No worries @bigsnitch.

I believe the main reason behind that is that the insurances do not cover a ferry trip.

That applies to the personal (non-rent) cars I believe.

In any case, it’s much cheaper to get another car on any island as I said before…

I also think the main reason is the insurance, as companies are not covering any damage or accidents in the ferry parking area. Usually, these areas are excluded from the insurance coverage.

Thanks, all. I appreciate your responses. We’ll look to rent (hire) a car on each island. Anyone have favorite vendors?

I always use Rentalcars and it has been extremely helpful because you can compare different local vendors (apart from the usual rental companies). It has been very safe and reliable in Greece in my experience.